Monday, February 10, 2014

The Legit Supermom

Enter-- my sister.


Let me just say that she has not earned this title because she is perfect and will make you hate yourself. Just the opposite, and proud of it.
This mom is real. She makes mistakes and learns from them. She isn't afraid to tell you she doesn't have it all together. She survives.
What makes her supermom? Her kids are growing, learning, surviving, love her and love Jesus.
Society tells us that a "super mom" has the following qualities...
- a SUPER clean house
- a written schedule that is always followed
- a super hot bod
- a face that always has makeup adorning it
- empty dirty clothes hampers
- children that are perfect (ie. they don't cry or have any emotions other than happy, happy, happy)
- children that are clean and put together at all times
- a kitchen that serves 3 perfect meals a day
- a dish free sink in that kitchen
- a smile at all times
- never gets frustrated or defeated or tired

This person DOES NOT EXIST anywhere but in Hollywood on a large screen where a team of people dream them up.

Legit super mom takes each day one at a time. She is first a believer in God. Second a loving wife. Third an amazing mama. She keeps her role as a mother in perspective knowing that it is fleeting.
Legit super mom's life is not perfect. She is not perfect. Her kids are not perfect. They are kids and she allows them to be. Sometimes that means her house is a wreck. When this is brought to her attention she says, "they are kids, they do that." or "I would drive myself crazy trying to clean up their messes all day and then I wouldn't be a very good mom because I would be cleaning instead of playing with them." Sometimes imperfect kids means they are still in nothing but undies at 4 o'clock in the afternoon. Sometimes that means they are constantly covered in some sort of food. Sometimes that means they scream and cry. Sometimes it means they refuse to nap.
Her response? "They do that sometimes."
This is Legit Super Mom's middle child... this photo is taken very late in the afternoon. He is in his underwear. He is simply uninterested in clothing.

Legit super mom accepts imperfections.
The best part about legit super mom? She encourages other new moms like myself. When being a new mom was the most overwhelming thing in the whole world to me, she was there. She was there to add my little sugar in with her three lumps of sugar just to give me a day of sleep. She helped me learn that my life would need to change. She walked me patiently through that change. She answered text messages at 3am. She told me I was doing a great job. She told me to give myself grace. She loved me.
The legit Super Mom was my second gift from God to help me be a mom to the first.

1 comment:

  1. So nice to hear and be reassured all that hoopla on tv is just that....but real moms are perfect for their children and everything else just falls into place someway, somehow, you just get it done...in your own way.

    ReplyDelete